In the 17th Century, Babylon Town was part of the town of Huntington, which had been settled by English colonists in 1653. Farmers in the north part of Suffolk County would travel to Babylon town because of the abundance of salt hay growing along the Great South Bay, which was vitally needed for the diet of their cattle. The two main trails for salt hay traffic were along the path of today's Route 110 and Deer Park Avenue. It wasn't until about 1760 that the first house was built in the Babylon Village area, now know as the Conklin house. A new era began to unfold when the railroad came to the South Shore in 1867. The easier access brought a stream of newcomers from New York City. In 1870, the village of Breslau (now Lindenhurst) was formed, settled largely by German immigrants. In 1872, the township of Babylon was born. As Babylon moved into the 20th Century, the population doubled between 1910 and 1930. Growth continued rapidly when master builder Robert Moses ran the new Southern State Parkway through the town's northern section. By 1970, the town was almost fully developed.