This bunker, located on the edge of Theodore Roosevelt Park was originally a former World War II submarine spotting station disguised to look like a farmhouse, with cement clapboard. In 1951, Hilda Lindley had purchased the place as Army surplus. In 1970, Hilda Lindley founded the Concerned Citizens of Montauk because she had found out that developers where planning to put up 1,400 housing units in the area of Big Reed Pond, and to construct a second inlet into Lake Montauk from Shagwong Point. Because of her fight and the fight of the members of CCOM, the 1,000 acre area was turned into Theodore Roosevelt Park. The bunker remains bordered up.
Copyright 2008 BygoneLI.com